From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading old kernel
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 18:11:51
1 On 4/15/20 1:40 PM, Andreas Stiasny wrote:
2 > On 15.04.20 17:50, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Jumping from
5 >> 3.18 you're somewhat more likely to run into issues - your biggest
6 >> headache though will be dealing with the 30,000 prompts you get from
7 >> make oldconfig and making sure you set all the new options correctly.
8 >
9 > That's why I use make olddefconfig in such a case. This takes all the
10 > old config values and uses the default for the new ones. If you know
11 > that you need one or more of the new config options you can fine tune
12 > them afterwards with make menuconfig.
15 > Andreas
16
17 Ah. never used olddefconfig, I'll give it a spin.