From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading old kernel
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 07:08:59
1 On 15/04/2020 21:09, james wrote:
2 > On 4/15/20 1:40 PM, Andreas Stiasny wrote:
3 >>
4 >> That's why I use make olddefconfig in such a case. This takes all the
5 >> old config values and uses the default for the new ones. If you know
6 >> that you need one or more of the new config options you can fine tune
7 >> them afterwards with make menuconfig.
8 >
9 > Ah. never used olddefconfig, I'll give it a spin.
10
11 Note that there's sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin now. You can use that
12 without having to build anything. Or, you can use that at first, and
13 then use its config in sys-kernel/gentoo-sources and tweak it to your needs.
14
15 There's also sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel but it's description is confusing
16 as hell: "Linux kernel built with Gentoo patches". Which to me sounds
17 exactly like gentoo-kernel-bin just with slightly different wording... :-/