From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading old kernel
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 07:22:03
1 On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 10:08:45AM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > There's also sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel but it's description is confusing as
3 > hell: "Linux kernel built with Gentoo patches". Which to me sounds exactly
4 > like gentoo-kernel-bin just with slightly different wording... :-/
5
6 The difference can be seen in the ebuild source U.R.I.s:
7 gentoo-kernel-bin: https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/binpkg/amd64/kernel/ \
8 sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel/${MY_P}.xpak
9 gentoo-kernel: https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... +
10 patches from https://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/dist/genpatches
11
12 The wording is horrible, but as the suffix ("-bin") would suggest, the former is
13 a binary .xpak package, whereas the latter is base kernel sources with
14 additional Gentoo developers' patches.
18 Ashley Dixon
19 suugaku.co.uk
22 DA96 D18A
23 8A7B B0D2