From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] help needed to connect wifi on eeeSTOKED!
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 03:28:04
1 --- On Fri, 5/15/09, James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have just (first full boot with X this morning, actually)
3 > gotten my wife's eeePC 900A switched over to Gentoo. I
4 > have a full install with kernel 2.6.29, X (1.6.1), Intel
5 > drivers (with DRI2, enabling *very* smooth and fast
6 > compositing), full KDE 4.2.3, WiFi and Wired ethernet,
7 > Firefox, Openoffice, NetworkManager, and all the usuals, all
8 > in a 2.7GB disk footprint, and without doing any compiling
9 > on the eeePC itself (I used my Core2Duo ~amd64 Gentoo box to
10 > do all the heavy lifting, then made a bootable 4GB SD card
11 > with the resulting FS - will move over to internal 4GB SSD
12 > once I've put the final touches on it). I have full
13 > eeePC hotkey support (except for an issue I've found
14 > with the rfkill (Wifi radio on/off) functionality - the HW
15 > (PHY) refuses to power back up once it's turned off. I
16 > believe it was working in the original Xandros, so I'll
17 > probably be doing some kernel hacking to get it working). If
18 > you would like, I can take some time this weekend and write
19 > up how I went about doing it and post it - interested?
22 > -James
23
24 Yes, very much so. I understand there are issues with too many read/write cycles on the SSHD. Up to now I've re-jiggered the kernel at least a dozen times. I guess I should have put the OS on a card first *then* onto the hard-drive once everything was in order.
25
26 Have you been here?
27
28 http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=2613&p=1
29
30 ...
31 ### EEEPC ####
32 /dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,noatime 1 2
33 # By mounting the tmp directories in a tmpfs
34 # the accesses to the SSD will be decreased.
35 # But you will lose all the data in the tmp directories if the PC shuts down.
36 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
37 tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
38 tmpfs /var/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
39 # If you do not use postfix as a real MTA then you can also add this line:
40 #tmpfs /var/spool/postfix tmpfs defaults 0 0
41 tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,size=64m 0 0
42 tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults,size=8m 0 0
43 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
44 /gentoo/portage.squashfs /gentoo/portage auto loop,ro 0 0
45 ...
46
47 Is this overkill? Or the way to go? Believe this was for a 701.
48
49 Maxim
54 Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca