From: Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 19:05:29
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >
4 > This has been helpful for me. I'm glad Valmor is getting better
5 > results also.
6 [snip]
7
8 These 4k-sector drives can be problematic when upgrading older
9 computers. For instance, my laptop BIOS would not boot from the toshiba
10 drive I mentioned earlier. However when used as an external usb drive, I
11 could boot gentoo. Since I have been using this drive as backup storage
12 I did not investigate the reason for the lower speed. I am happy to get
13 a factor of 8 in speed up now after you did the research :)
14
15 Thanks for your postings.
18 Valmor