From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:03:21
1 On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >>
5 >> This has been helpful for me. I'm glad Valmor is getting better
6 >> results also.
7 > [snip]
8 >
9 > These 4k-sector drives can be problematic when upgrading older
10 > computers. For instance, my laptop BIOS would not boot from the toshiba
11 > drive I mentioned earlier. However when used as an external usb drive, I
12 > could boot gentoo. Since I have been using this drive as backup storage
13 > I did not investigate the reason for the lower speed. I am happy to get
14 > a factor of 8 in speed up now after you did the research :)
15 >
16 > Thanks for your postings.
17
18 Thanks for the info everyone, but do you understand the agony I am now
19 suffering at the fact that all disk in my system (including all parts
20 of my RAID5) are starting on sector 63 and I don't have sufficient
21 free space (or free time) to repartition them? :) I am really curious
22 if there are any gains to be made on my own system...
23
24 Next time I partition I will definitely pay attention to this, and
25 feel foolish that I didn't pay attention before. Thanks.