From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 08:06:26
1 On Monday 08 February 2010 21:34:01 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > [snip]
6 > >
7 > >> This has been helpful for me. I'm glad Valmor is getting better
8 > >> results also.
9 > >
10 > > [snip]
11 > >
12 > > These 4k-sector drives can be problematic when upgrading older
13 > > computers. For instance, my laptop BIOS would not boot from the toshiba
14 > > drive I mentioned earlier. However when used as an external usb drive, I
15 > > could boot gentoo. Since I have been using this drive as backup storage
16 > > I did not investigate the reason for the lower speed. I am happy to get
17 > > a factor of 8 in speed up now after you did the research :)
18 > >
19 > > Thanks for your postings.
20 >
21 > Thanks for the info everyone, but do you understand the agony I am now
22 > suffering at the fact that all disk in my system (including all parts
23 > of my RAID5) are starting on sector 63 and I don't have sufficient
24 > free space (or free time) to repartition them? :) I am really curious
25 > if there are any gains to be made on my own system...
26 >
27 > Next time I partition I will definitely pay attention to this, and
28 > feel foolish that I didn't pay attention before. Thanks.
31 I have similar disks in my new system and was lucky that I was still in the
32 testing phase and hadn't filled the disks yet.
33 After changing the partitions to start at sector 64, the creation of the
34 RAID-5 set went from around 22 hours to 9 hours.
35
36 I also get a much higher throughput (in the range of at least 4 times faster),
37 so I would recommend doing the change if you can.
38
39 I now only need to figure out the best way to configure LVM over this to get
40 the best performance from it. Does anyone know of a decent way of figuring
41 this out?
42 I got 6 disks in Raid-5.
43
44 Thanks,