From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] No DRI for ATI 9250 and xorg 7.2?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:15:40
1 Unless I'm misunderstanding something, ATI basically said
2 "screw you" to anybody with a 92xx series card. ATI's drivers
3 stopped supporting the r2xx chipsets after version 8.28.8, and
4 that version only works up through xorg 7.1.
5
6 My ATI based card is only 3 years old, and it's useless if I
7 want to do DRI. OTOH, I've got a 7 year old NVidia card that's
8 still supported. The closed source NV drivers have always
9 "just worked" for me, and the ATI close-source drivers have
10 always been hard to get installed and flakey once they were
11 installed.
12
13 Yes I know there are open-source drivers that are supposed to
14 do DRI for the r2xx chipset, but they've got so many rendering
15 issues they're useless. I just tried again with the
16 open-source drivers. Glxgears runs OK, but on the opening
17 screen of ppracer, none of the menu text is rendered.
18
19 I swear I'll never buy another ATI chipset again. If AMD
20 doesn't straighten out the mess at ATI, I'll switch back to
21 Intel CPUs as well...
24 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I want to kill
25 at everyone here with a cute
26 visi.com colorful Hydrogen Bomb!!
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list