From: Chris Frederick <cdf123@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No DRI for ATI 9250 and xorg 7.2?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:31:28
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I swear I'll never buy another ATI chipset again. If AMD
3 > doesn't straighten out the mess at ATI, I'll switch back to
4 > Intel CPUs as well...
7 I usually don't offer my opinion to a rant but I just can't resist this one.
8
9 I've been using an amd64 cpu on a ATI chipset for a mythtv server for
10 the last two years now. The graphics are a Radeon Express 200G. This
11 system is an absolute joke. Graphics drivers aside, I've never seen a
12 more flaky, worthless motherboard in my life. I've done many a kernel
13 update, only to reboot and sit by the TV for the next half hour while I
14 hit the reset button every minute because the BIOS can't get past
15 checking for RAM modules. It shouldn't take 15-20 minutes to do an
16 'emerge --sync' on a 64bit AMD 3000. You'd think after two years there
17 would be a bios update to patch this ...
18
19 My nForce motherboards and GeForce graphics card are in the mail. I
20 don't expect to see an ATI label in my house or company for a long time.
21 nVidia may be closed source, but at least they work.
22
23 </rant>
24
25 Chris