From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:47:32
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
4 > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:53:04 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:19:43 +0100, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
6 > >> But I do find it silly, that the various applications that aren't
7 > >> dependent of the DE, to require a dependency of the DE. It just seems
8 > >> a bit backwards to me :-) I simply don't understand.
9 > > That just shows that they are still partially dependent on the DE, KMail
10 > > also needs various KDE libraries. KDE was designed as a cohesive DE, not
11 > > just a bunch of applications with a common look and feel. KDE apps are
12 > > intended to be run on a KDE desktop, anything else is a nice bonus.
13 > Indeed, and it is a noble pursuit.
14 > But from a marketing aspect, it would make more sense to have things that aren't
15 > -vital- for the app, unlike kde-libs in this case, to be soft (is this the
16 > correct term?) dependencies.
17 > Both aspects could be satisfied by having symantic-desktop as an optional dep.
18 > It's not a vital function for kmail to be able to tag and index all the files on
19 > the computer (which is what the symantic-desktop does if I understand
20 > correctly), it's a nifty thing for KDE users, and soon probably Gnome users as
21 > well, but for anyone else, it's a nifty thing -if- they feel the need for it.
22 > Much like most other bits of software :-)
23
24 Obviously you don't understand the reason for the dependency.
25 It does not exist so that Kmail can index all the files on the system but for the opposite -
26 so that Kmail can participate in the search by allowing the system to be able to search _its_ data.
27
28 And, btw, you're not turning it off within Kmail, but at the system - DE - level.
29 The application itself will still check to see if it could participate, only to have nothing turned on to support so then it doesn't do anything.
30
31 > In the end there isn't a right or wrong, but just a standpoint.
32
33 Question: are you a software developer?
34
35 Kmail probably has the dependency the way they do b/c it is far easier to make it one and let the system determine not to support the functionality
36 than it is to litter the codebase with "if (symanticDesktopEnabled)..." code.
37
38 > Some don't mind
39 > the bloat (we can agree that it's bloat if you're just going to disable the
40 > function as soon as it's been installed, right?) and don't consider it to be the
41 > slightest bit akin to bloat, whilst to others it's an unnecessary feature forced
42 > on them (mainly thinking of the people not using kde, but also those kde-users
43 > that just disable it) and thus becomes bloat.
44
45 No more than it is bloat for gcc to support mmx/sse/sse2/sse3/sse4 when your processor cannot.
46
47 Ben