From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:16:42
1 On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:53:04 +0100, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:19:43 +0100, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
5 >
6 >> But I do find it silly, that the various applications that aren't
7 >> dependent of the DE, to require a dependency of the DE. It just seems
8 >> a bit backwards to me :-) I simply don't understand.
9 >
10 > That just shows that they are still partially dependent on the DE, KMail
11 > also needs various KDE libraries. KDE was designed as a cohesive DE, not
12 > just a bunch of applications with a common look and feel. KDE apps are
13 > intended to be run on a KDE desktop, anything else is a nice bonus.
17 Indeed, and it is a noble pursuit.
18 But from a marketing aspect, it would make more sense to have things that
19 aren't -vital- for the app, unlike kde-libs in this case, to be soft (is
20 this the correct term?) dependencies.
21 Both aspects could be satisfied by having symantic-desktop as an optional
22 dep. It's not a vital function for kmail to be able to tag and index all
23 the files on the computer (which is what the symantic-desktop does if I
24 understand correctly), it's a nifty thing for KDE users, and soon probably
25 Gnome users as well, but for anyone else, it's a nifty thing -if- they
26 feel the need for it. Much like most other bits of software :-)
27
28 In the end there isn't a right or wrong, but just a standpoint. Some don't
29 mind the bloat (we can agree that it's bloat if you're just going to
30 disable the function as soon as it's been installed, right?) and don't
31 consider it to be the slightest bit akin to bloat, whilst to others it's
32 an unnecessary feature forced on them (mainly thinking of the people not
33 using kde, but also those kde-users that just disable it) and thus becomes
34 bloat.
37 Zeerak