From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:07:16
1 On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2014-02-18 4:05 PM, Sebastian Beßler <sebastian@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> First I thought that with systemd I have to use all the things shipped
5 >> with systemd like journald (which I don't like because I think that a
6 >> binary file for syslogs is just broken) so I looked into the config
7 >> files of systemd, deactivated journald and configured logging to rsyslog
8 >> instead. And just like journald many (if not most or even all, I'm still
9 >> at the surface of systemd configuration) of the new and ugly tools can
10 >> be replaced by the good old tools we like and love.
13 > Thanks Sebastian.
14 >
15 > I had pretty much come to this same conclusion without even having tried
16 > systemd yet.
17 >
18 > This, combined with the new knowledge that it is relatively trivial to allow
19 > peaceful co-existence for systemd users through the use of profiles, and
20 > that these would need to be created and maintained by those who want or need
21 > the equivalent systemd version of any given profile, now boils down to one
22 > last thing...
23 >
24 > Getting the Gentoo Council behind this idea, and providing an officially
25 > supported - or maybe a better term is *mandated* - process whereby systemd
26 > proponents can create and then maintain new systemd versions of any existing
27 > profiles.
28
29 Just jumping in here as one of Gentoo's systemd maintainers: There is
30 no point in creating a second set of profiles just for systemd.
31 Profiles do not perform any magic; they just set/mask use flags and
32 set default values for some other ebuild variables.
33
34 The reason we do not have a full set of "systemd profiles" is because
35 they would serve no useful purpose; there is simply nothing to be
36 gained from creating them.
37
38 If I wanted to switch from systemd back openrc at this very moment, I
39 would do the following:
40
41 1. Unset the systemd use flag.
42 2. Replace sys-apps/systemd with sys-fs/udev (optional).
43 3. Run emerge -uDNav world
44
45 Having a separate profile does not make that process any easier.