From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:57:49
1 On 2014-02-18 4:05 PM, Sebastian Beßler <sebastian@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > First I thought that with systemd I have to use all the things shipped
3 > with systemd like journald (which I don't like because I think that a
4 > binary file for syslogs is just broken) so I looked into the config
5 > files of systemd, deactivated journald and configured logging to rsyslog
6 > instead. And just like journald many (if not most or even all, I'm still
7 > at the surface of systemd configuration) of the new and ugly tools can
8 > be replaced by the good old tools we like and love.
9
10 Thanks Sebastian.
11
12 I had pretty much come to this same conclusion without even having tried
13 systemd yet.
14
15 This, combined with the new knowledge that it is relatively trivial to
16 allow peaceful co-existence for systemd users through the use of
17 profiles, and that these would need to be created and maintained by
18 those who want or need the equivalent systemd version of any given
19 profile, now boils down to one last thing...
20
21 Getting the Gentoo Council behind this idea, and providing an officially
22 supported - or maybe a better term is *mandated* - process whereby
23 systemd proponents can create and then maintain new systemd versions of
24 any existing profiles.
25
26 I guess maybe it is time to go open a bug about this?
27
28 I would be happy to do this, but maybe it would be better if someone who
29 has much more knowledge of the inner workings of the Gentoo Council and
30 whatever process governs things like this to do it?