From: "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:05:21
1 On 16.02.2014 21:56, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 Hello List.
4
5 > and all are linked (not compile&link) in such a manner that you can't
6 > just pick and choose. Oh no, you get the full treatment if you like it
7 > or not.
8
9 A few weeks ago I wanted to see what systemd is really like so I started
10 a little test and switched to systemd on my private gentoo desktop
11 system. I don't care what people say, if possible only my personal
12 experience matters.
13
14 First I thought that with systemd I have to use all the things shipped
15 with systemd like journald (which I don't like because I think that a
16 binary file for syslogs is just broken) so I looked into the config
17 files of systemd, deactivated journald and configured logging to rsyslog
18 instead. And just like journald many (if not most or even all, I'm still
19 at the surface of systemd configuration) of the new and ugly tools can
20 be replaced by the good old tools we like and love.
21
22 Out of experience I can now say that many of the point said against
23 systemd a just not true. Please everyone, make use of a rainy winter
24 evening, install a virtual maschine with an systemd distribution and
25 look into its options, configurations and workings. Just for the sake of
26 getting rid of all the little wrong statements and rumors.
27 Then we can concentrate on the real issues and problems of systemd.
28
29 Greetings
30
31 Sebastian Beßler