From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:56:09
1 Am 16.02.2014 21:27, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >> You may have lost it in the link that Volker posted (thanks Volker), but this
5 >> comment from HaakonKL probably sums it up:
6 >>
7 >> "... I will give Upstart this though: Should something better come along, you
8 >> could replace upstart. I guess this holds true for OpenRC as well.
9 >>
10 >> You can't say that about systemd."
11 > I had read that blog entry before. Is full of errors, like believing
12 > that everything that systemd does is inside PID 1.
13 >
14 > There is actually little code inside PID 1; most of systemd
15 > functionality comes from separated binaries. You know, do one thing,
16 > do it right?
17 >
18 > >From [1]:
19 >
20 > "If you build systemd with all configuration options enabled you will
21 > build 69 individual binaries. These binaries all serve different
22 > tasks, and are neatly separated for a number of reasons."
23
24 and all are linked (not compile&link) in such a manner that you can't
25 just pick and choose. Oh no, you get the full treatment if you like it
26 or not.
27
28 >> Can you surgically remove systemd in the future without reverse engineering
29 >> half of what the LSB would look at the time, or will its developers ensure
30 >> that this is a one time choice only?
31 > You guys talk about software like if it was a big bad black magical
32 > box with inexplicable powers.
33 >
34 > If someone is willing and able, *everything* can be "surgically
35 > remove[d]". We got rid of devfs, remember? We got rid of OSS (thank
36 > the FSM for ALSA). We got rid of HAL (yuck!). GNOME got rid of bonobo,
37 > and ESD. KDE got rid of aRts (and who knows what more).
38
39 yeah, as soon as everybody had worked out devfs it got scrapped. As soon
40 as hal was usable, it was replaced with something new, that never
41 stopped changing since then. And then came pulseaudio. The solution to a
42 problem that does not exist. And because of pulseaudio, all the things
43 that led. to systemd happened.
46 > You can get rid of *everything*, if so you desire. But *someone* needs
47 > to write/patch the code.
48 >
49 > Regards.
50 >
51 > [1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
52
53 I am not trusting the people who lied about udev.