From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:28:09
1 On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > You may have lost it in the link that Volker posted (thanks Volker), but this
4 > comment from HaakonKL probably sums it up:
5 >
6 > "... I will give Upstart this though: Should something better come along, you
7 > could replace upstart. I guess this holds true for OpenRC as well.
8 >
9 > You can't say that about systemd."
10
11 I had read that blog entry before. Is full of errors, like believing
12 that everything that systemd does is inside PID 1.
13
14 There is actually little code inside PID 1; most of systemd
15 functionality comes from separated binaries. You know, do one thing,
16 do it right?
17
18 From [1]:
19
20 "If you build systemd with all configuration options enabled you will
21 build 69 individual binaries. These binaries all serve different
22 tasks, and are neatly separated for a number of reasons."
23
24 > Can you surgically remove systemd in the future without reverse engineering
25 > half of what the LSB would look at the time, or will its developers ensure
26 > that this is a one time choice only?
27
28 You guys talk about software like if it was a big bad black magical
29 box with inexplicable powers.
30
31 If someone is willing and able, *everything* can be "surgically
32 remove[d]". We got rid of devfs, remember? We got rid of OSS (thank
33 the FSM for ALSA). We got rid of HAL (yuck!). GNOME got rid of bonobo,
34 and ESD. KDE got rid of aRts (and who knows what more).
35
36 You can get rid of *everything*, if so you desire. But *someone* needs
37 to write/patch the code.
38
39 Regards.
40