From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:18:35
1 Thanks to all who chimed in...
2
3 On 2014-02-16 3:27 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > [snip]
6 >> You may have lost it in the link that Volker posted (thanks Volker), but this
7 >> comment from HaakonKL probably sums it up:
8 >>
9 >> "... I will give Upstart this though: Should something better come along, you
10 >> could replace upstart. I guess this holds true for OpenRC as well.
11 >>
12 >> You can't say that about systemd."
13
14 > I had read that blog entry before. Is full of errors, like believing
15 > that everything that systemd does is inside PID 1.
16
17 Maybe it is 'full of errors', but is the primary point true?
18
19 > There is actually little code inside PID 1;
20
21 The quoted text said nothing about this, so please stay on point.
22
23 As to the point raised:
24
25 >> Can you surgically remove systemd in the future without reverse engineering
26 >> half of what the LSB would look at the time, or will its developers ensure
27 >> that this is a one time choice only?
28
29 > You guys talk about software like if it was a big bad black magical
30 > box with inexplicable powers.
31 >
32 > If someone is willing and able, *everything* can be "surgically
33 > remove[d]". We got rid of devfs, remember? We got rid of OSS (thank
34 > the FSM for ALSA). We got rid of HAL (yuck!). GNOME got rid of bonobo,
35 > and ESD. KDE got rid of aRts (and who knows what more).
36
37 I think you are being a little disingenuous here.
38
39 The obvious unspoken meaning behind the 'can you surgically remove' was:
40
41 Can you do it *easily*? I'm sure you would not suggest that getting rid
42 of the above were 'easy'?
43
44 It simply doesn't matter if systemd boils down to one monolithic binary,
45 or 600, if they are tied together in such a way that they can not
46 *individually* be replaced *easily and simply* (ie, without having to
47 rewrite the whole of systemd).
48
49 That said, it seems to me that, for now at least, it isn't that big a
50 deal to switch back and forth between systemd and, for example, OpenRC.
51
52 So my main concern is - will it still be possible - *and* easy - in a
53 year? Three years? Five? If the answer to *any* of those is no, then I
54 think the best solution - for gentoo at least - is to make whether or
55 not systemd is to be used more like a *profile* choice - a decision that
56 you can make at install time, similar to choosing between hardened or
57 not (not easy/simple to switch to/from after a system is up and running).
58
59 In fact, it seems to me that, since (from what I've read) the primary
60 reason that systemd was written in the first place was to provide
61 extremely fast boots *in virtualized environments*, having it be a
62 choice made by selecting a corresponding *profile* is the *ideal*
63 solution - at least for gentoo. At least this way everything could be
64 documented, and switching between a systemd and non-systemd profile can
65 be supported for as long as possible, understanding that at some point
66 in time it may have to become an install time choice - kind of like
67 choosing between hardened or not is mostly an install time choice now.