From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 15:00:25
1 On 17/02/2014 14:17, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > In fact, it seems to me that, since (from what I've read) the primary
3 > reason that systemd was written in the first place was to provide
4 > extremely fast boots *in virtualized environments*, having it be a
5 > choice made by selecting a corresponding *profile* is the *ideal*
6 > solution - at least for gentoo. At least this way everything could be
7 > documented, and switching between a systemd and non-systemd profile can
8 > be supported for as long as possible, understanding that at some point
9 > in time it may have to become an install time choice - kind of like
10 > choosing between hardened or not is mostly an install time choice now.
11
12 To me, this is as close to ideal as it can get.
13
14 As I said in my opening post, I do not suffer from the problem RedHat is
15 solving - my machines seldom reboot quicker than every 10 days
16 (including laptops) and OpenRC gets me to a useable prompt faster than
17 the BIOS takes to do it's thing :-)
18
19 A profile-like solution would suit me perfectly, something I can use or
20 not as I see fit and the choice made at install time.
23 Alan McKinnon
24 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com