From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:25:06
1 On 02/17/2014 06:17 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Thanks to all who chimed in...
3 >
4 > On 2014-02-16 3:27 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> [snip]
7 >>> You may have lost it in the link that Volker posted (thanks Volker),
8 >>> but this
9 >>> comment from HaakonKL probably sums it up:
10 >>>
11 >>> "... I will give Upstart this though: Should something better come
12 >>> along, you
13 >>> could replace upstart. I guess this holds true for OpenRC as well.
14 >>>
15 >>> You can't say that about systemd."
16 >
17 >> I had read that blog entry before. Is full of errors, like believing
18 >> that everything that systemd does is inside PID 1.
19 >
20 > Maybe it is 'full of errors', but is the primary point true?
21 >
22 >> There is actually little code inside PID 1;
23 >
24 > The quoted text said nothing about this, so please stay on point.
25 >
26 > As to the point raised:
27 >
28 >>> Can you surgically remove systemd in the future without reverse
29 >>> engineering
30 >>> half of what the LSB would look at the time, or will its developers
31 >>> ensure
32 >>> that this is a one time choice only?
33 >
34 >> You guys talk about software like if it was a big bad black magical
35 >> box with inexplicable powers.
36 >>
37 >> If someone is willing and able, *everything* can be "surgically
38 >> remove[d]". We got rid of devfs, remember? We got rid of OSS (thank
39 >> the FSM for ALSA). We got rid of HAL (yuck!). GNOME got rid of bonobo,
40 >> and ESD. KDE got rid of aRts (and who knows what more).
41 >
42 > I think you are being a little disingenuous here.
43 >
44 > The obvious unspoken meaning behind the 'can you surgically remove' was:
45 >
46 > Can you do it *easily*? I'm sure you would not suggest that getting rid
47 > of the above were 'easy'?
48 >
49 > It simply doesn't matter if systemd boils down to one monolithic binary,
50 > or 600, if they are tied together in such a way that they can not
51 > *individually* be replaced *easily and simply* (ie, without having to
52 > rewrite the whole of systemd).
53 >
54 > That said, it seems to me that, for now at least, it isn't that big a
55 > deal to switch back and forth between systemd and, for example, OpenRC.
56 >
57 > So my main concern is - will it still be possible - *and* easy - in a
58 > year? Three years? Five? If the answer to *any* of those is no, then I
59 > think the best solution - for gentoo at least - is to make whether or
60 > not systemd is to be used more like a *profile* choice - a decision that
61 > you can make at install time, similar to choosing between hardened or
62 > not (not easy/simple to switch to/from after a system is up and running).
63 >
64 > In fact, it seems to me that, since (from what I've read) the primary
65 > reason that systemd was written in the first place was to provide
66 > extremely fast boots *in virtualized environments*, having it be a
67 > choice made by selecting a corresponding *profile* is the *ideal*
68 > solution - at least for gentoo. At least this way everything could be
69 > documented, and switching between a systemd and non-systemd profile can
70 > be supported for as long as possible, understanding that at some point
71 > in time it may have to become an install time choice - kind of like
72 > choosing between hardened or not is mostly an install time choice now.
75 That's actually a really smart idea. It would allow for the integration
76 that systemd-fans desire and still respect the choice of people that
77 don't want systemd on their systems. Combined with USE flags and the
78 PORTDIR_MASK variable (iirc), it should create a "best of both worlds"
79 situation for Gentoo and a decision wouldn't need to be made. Despite my
80 distaste for systemd, I think this is a great middle ground that
81 everyone could, with some considerations or compromises, agree to.