From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:32:23
1 On Feb 18, 2014 3:05 PM, "Sebastian Beßler" <sebastian@××××××××××××.de>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On 16.02.2014 21:56, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >
6 > Hello List.
7 >
8 > > and all are linked (not compile&link) in such a manner that you can't
9 > > just pick and choose. Oh no, you get the full treatment if you like it
10 > > or not.
11 >
12 > A few weeks ago I wanted to see what systemd is really like so I started
13 > a little test and switched to systemd on my private gentoo desktop
14 > system. I don't care what people say, if possible only my personal
15 > experience matters.
16 >
17 > First I thought that with systemd I have to use all the things shipped
18 > with systemd like journald (which I don't like because I think that a
19 > binary file for syslogs is just broken) so I looked into the config
20 > files of systemd, deactivated journald and configured logging to rsyslog
21 > instead.
22
23 In the spirit of correctness, I should mention that you don't disable the
24 journal; you can configure it so it doesn't stores its binary logs, but
25 it's still running.
26
27 And you always can run other legacy logger alongside the journal, and have
28 both things; binary logs for fast retrieval, and text logs if you so desire.
29
30 > And just like journald many (if not most or even all, I'm still
31 > at the surface of systemd configuration) of the new and ugly tools can
32 > be replaced by the good old tools we like and love.
33 >
34 > Out of experience I can now say that many of the point said against
35 > systemd a just not true. Please everyone, make use of a rainy winter
36 > evening, install a virtual maschine with an systemd distribution and
37 > look into its options, configurations and workings. Just for the sake of
38 > getting rid of all the little wrong statements and rumors.
39 > Then we can concentrate on the real issues and problems of systemd.
40
41 Regards.