From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:52:13
1 On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 00:54:19 -0500
2 Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
5 > wrote:
6 > > Excuse me for starting an off-topic thread,
7 > >
8 > > But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can
9 > > perform hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM
10 > > parameters & layout, etc.
11 > >
12 > > It's gotta be a Live CD because the boxes currently installed are
13 > > running either VMware or XenServer and I am reluctant to open them
14 > > up. So I guess I'll just shutdown the box, boot using the Live CD,
15 > > record all important info, and reboot into the hypervisor.
16 > >
17 > > Rgds,
18 >
19 > Pretty much any livecd that'll boot can do the job... lspci -vv,
20 > /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/meminfo, and fdisk -l (which'll catch any drives
21 > the running kernel sees at least) are pretty standard, and it wouldn't
22 > take much to include a script that calls those, dumps the output
23 > somewhere, then reboots. For more extensive info, dmidecode and lshw
24 > tend to give more detail, but are a little less 'standard'. Notably,
25 > dmidecode gives things like per-slot ram information.
28 Software does indeed make this process so much easier. We use dmidecode for this too.
29
30 All the machines in the data center run ocsng
31 (http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org) to automate the entire process, but
32 that's way beyond what the OP needs
35 Alan McKinnnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com