From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Linux Live CD to perform hardware audit?
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 05:56:11
1 On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Excuse me for starting an off-topic thread,
3 >
4 > But do any of you guys/gals know of a Live CD distro that can perform
5 > hardware audit? i.e., detect installed processor model, RAM parameters &
6 > layout, etc.
7 >
8 > It's gotta be a Live CD because the boxes currently installed are running
9 > either VMware or XenServer and I am reluctant to open them up. So I guess
10 > I'll just shutdown the box, boot using the Live CD, record all important
11 > info, and reboot into the hypervisor.
12 >
13 > Rgds,
14
15 Pretty much any livecd that'll boot can do the job... lspci -vv,
16 /proc/cpuinfo, /proc/meminfo, and fdisk -l (which'll catch any drives
17 the running kernel sees at least) are pretty standard, and it wouldn't
18 take much to include a script that calls those, dumps the output
19 somewhere, then reboots. For more extensive info, dmidecode and lshw
20 tend to give more detail, but are a little less 'standard'. Notably,
21 dmidecode gives things like per-slot ram information.
24 Poison [BLX]
25 Joshua M. Murphy