From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup program that compresses data but only changes new files.
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:07:47
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Monday, August 15, 2022 12:44:11 AM CEST Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> With my new fiber internet, my poor disks are getting a work out, and
6 >> also filling up. First casualty, my backup disk. I have one directory
7 >> that is . . . well . . . huge. It's about 7TBs or so. This is where it
8 >> is right now and it's still trying to pack in files.
9 >>
10 >> /dev/mapper/8tb 7.3T 7.1T 201G 98% /mnt/8tb
11 > <snipped>
12 >
13 >> Thoughts? Ideas?
14 > Plenty, see below:
15 >
16 > For backups to external disks, I would recommend having a look at "dar" :
17 > $ eix -e dar
18 > * app-backup/dar
19 > Available versions: 2.7.6^t ~2.7.7^t {argon2 curl dar32 dar64 doc gcrypt
20 > gpg lz4 lzo nls rsync threads xattr}
21 > Homepage: http://dar.linux.free.fr/
24 > It's been around for a while and the developer is active and responds quite
25 > well to questions.
26 > It supports compression (different compression methods), incremental backups
27 > (only need a catalogue of the previous backup for the incremental) and
28 > encryption.
29 >
30 > The NAS options others mentioned would also work as they can compress data on
31 > disk and you'd only notice a delay in writing/reading (depending on the
32 > compression method used). I would recommend using one that uses ZFS on-disk as
33 > it's more reliable and robust then BTRFS.
34 >
35 > One option that comes available for you now that you are no longer limited to
36 > slow ADSL: Cloud backups.
37 >
38 > I use Backblaze (B2) to store compressed backups that haven't been stored on
39 > tape to off-site locations.
40 >
41 > But, you can also encrypt the backups locally and store the
42 > encrypted+compressed backupfiles on other cloud storage.
43 >
44 > --
45 > Joost
49 Dar does sound interesting.  It sounds a lot like what I used way back
50 in the 90's.  I'm sure it is different software but could work on
51 floppies then like it does on USB sticks etc today.  Same principal.
52
53 I looked into ZFS as well.  Google helped me find a interesting page.  I
54 notice it is also used on some NAS setups as well.  It seems to be
55 advanced and maintained well.  It sounds a little like LVM but may have
56 more features, such as compression maybe?  I haven't read that far yet.
57 I notice it mentions snapshots which LVM also uses.
58
59 Getting plenty of ideas.  I just wish I had a separate building to put a
60 NAS in that would be safe and climate controlled.  I got a out building
61 but it gets plenty hot in the summer.  No A/C or anything.  I only heat
62 it enough to prevent freezing but computers would likely like that anyway.
63
64 Dale
65