From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] =dev-lang/spidermonkey-60.5.2_p0-r4 fails @world update
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:09:02
1 On Friday, 19 June 2020 17:10:54 BST urpion@×××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 04:52:30PM +0100, Michael wrote:
3
4 > > NP, did you get an OOM error in dmesg when this happened by any chance?
5 > > You don't seem to have much RAM, you have no swap and the number of jobs
6 > > is relatively high for memory hungry compiles.
7 > >
8 > > It could be a bug, but unless a report has been filed already in BGO to
9 > > this effect, I suggest you add a swapfile, enable it, and try again with
10 > > MAKEOPTS="-j1" or "-j2". Please ask if you need more detail.
11 >
12 > I was thinking about -j1. I tried -j4. I thought I didn't need swap with
13 > >=4GB of RAM, but it makes sense. My machine kinda crawls trying to build
14 > that package. Oh man, I'll have to re-partition:-(
15
16 A single compile job on a big package can eat >3G of RAM. I don't know what
17 spidermonkey jobs may grow up to, but drop it down to '-j1' and see what you
18 get.
19
20 A swapfile which you enable on a per ebuild basis if required, can be handy.
21 You can configure this in a package.profile file. On an ext4 fs you could do
22 this as root:
23
24 touch swapfile
25 dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=4096 count=400000
26 mkswap -L Swappage swapfile
27 swapon swapfile
28
29 If it is a btrfs you'll need to tweak things to be able to used it as a swap:
30
31 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swap_file