From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xterm ignoring "XTerm*titeInhibit: true" in .Xresources
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 23:19:38
1 On 04/03/2018 02:50 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > Lately, I've noticed that text apps under xterm snap back to the
3 > original screen after the app finishes. This doesn't happen with
4 > all apps. When I hit "q" in "top", the output stays on the screen.
5 > But other apps like "mtr" and "vim" and "less" restore the screen from
6 > which they were launched, which is extremely annoying.
7
8 "mtr", "vim", and "less" all three use what Xterm calls the "Alternate
9 Screen". You can see this while the programs are running by looking at
10 the VT Options menu (Ctrl+Middle Click) and seeing that the "Show
11 Alternate Screen" is checked.
12
13 "top" on the otherhand does not use the "Alternate Screen".
14
15 There may be a way to disable the "Alternate Screen", but I don't know
16 for sure, muchless what it would be. I'd suggest Reading the ""Fine
17 Manpage. (Or at least searching said manpage.)
18
19 > A long time ago I ran into this problem and was advised to add
20 > "XTerm*titeInhibit: true" in .Xresources. It seems to have stopped
21 > working recently. Last night on a web forum people were comparing
22 > response times from 1.1.1.1 DNS server. I ran "mtr" in xterm but the
23 > output would disapper entirely when I hit "q". I managed to freeze the
24 > output with {CTRL}{S} so I could do a copy/paste into a post. But I'd
25 > like a clean solution rather than a clunky workaround.
26
27 I would be shocked to learn that a title (bar?) related setting would
28 have anything to do with the "Alternate Screen". - If this worked, I'm
29 guessing that it did so by breaking something else that would trigger
30 the "Alternate Screen". (There's a 1000% chance that I'm wrong here.)
31
32 Please let us know what you find.
37 Grant. . . .
38 unix || die