From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 03:01:35
1 On 22/3/20 2:29 am, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Dale,
3 >
4 > On Saturday, 2020-03-21 13:01:01 -0500, you wrote:
5 >
6 >> ...
7 >>   Thing is, if I
8 >> give it to someone who uses windoze, can they just put in the password
9 >> and open it or does it have to be on the original system?
10 > They just have VeraCrypt to be installed and they have to know the cred-
11 > entials, which may be a password and/or a certain file on each system.
12 >
13 >>   Basically, I'd like to transfer
14 >> files from one system to another but it be encrypted while in transit.
15 >> I use Linux, they use windoze tho.  That make sense?
16 > I do exactly that: transfering files from Gentoo to Windows and back.
17 > And if anybody else would try to read the USB stick they would only find
18 > white noise on it.
19 >
20 > Sincerely,
21 > Rainer
22
23 Good point - securestick leaves the "structure" of directories visible
24 on the standard exfat FS but encrypts the files in place. My view is its
25 "good enough" for my purposes and while veracrypt is better - it wont
26 work in my use case.
29 BillK