From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 09:30:57
1 On Sunday, 22 March 2020 03:00:51 GMT William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 22/3/20 2:29 am, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
3 > > Dale,
4 > >
5 > > On Saturday, 2020-03-21 13:01:01 -0500, you wrote:
6 > >> ...
7 > >>
8 > >> Thing is, if I
9 > >>
10 > >> give it to someone who uses windoze, can they just put in the password
11 > >> and open it or does it have to be on the original system?
12 > >
13 > > They just have VeraCrypt to be installed and they have to know the cred-
14 > > entials, which may be a password and/or a certain file on each system.
15 > >
16 > >> Basically, I'd like to transfer
17 > >>
18 > >> files from one system to another but it be encrypted while in transit.
19 > >> I use Linux, they use windoze tho. That make sense?
20 > >
21 > > I do exactly that: transfering files from Gentoo to Windows and back.
22 > > And if anybody else would try to read the USB stick they would only find
23 > > white noise on it.
24 > >
25 > > Sincerely,
26 > >
27 > > Rainer
28 >
29 > Good point - securestick leaves the "structure" of directories visible
30 > on the standard exfat FS but encrypts the files in place. My view is its
31 > "good enough" for my purposes and while veracrypt is better - it wont
32 > work in my use case.
35 > BillK
36
37 I'd like to add the "good enough" encryption requirement Bill mentions here,
38 appropriate to a particular use case should be understood for what it is. A
39 relative measure of security and retention of privacy. Many hardware and
40 software data encryption schemes offer only a relative level of security and
41 are not strong enough to trust them with your life. Convoluted methods using
42 browsers and what not open additional side-channel attack opportunities and
43 increase exposure. Software solutions which work today, may stop working
44 tomorrow on the next release of MSWindows OS. Many hardware solutions
45 promising built-in encryption, well ... they are not to be trusted:
46
47 https://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2019/papers/310.pdf
48
49 Many of these methods are weak for a determined and technically capable
50 attacker, but they are perfectly adequate stopping the general public from
51 accessing your data.