From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More memory?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:21:25
1 On Monday 06 December 2004 11:16 am, Grant wrote:
2 > > > Maybe a better way to phrase my question is: Is it possible to set my
3 > > > server up so it will use swap when it needs it and then free it back
4 > > > up when it doesn't need it anymore? What makes me think that is
5 > > > necessary is the fact that I see a very snappy response when browsing
6 > > > my site after a fresh reboot. After it's been up for awhile, the swap
7 > > > starts to fill and it slows down. Rebooting clears out the swap and
8 > > > the snaps return.
9 > >
10 > > Actually, that is the default behaviour.
11 >
12 > I'm now using swap again for the first time since my last reboot.
13 > It's currently at 1036k, but that is guaranteed to keep increasing.
14 >
15 > Here's what I don't understand.
16 >
17 > total used free shared buffers cached
18 > Mem: 978 731 246 0 164 226
19 > -/+ buffers/cache: 340 637
20 > Swap: 494 1 493
21 >
22 > If I'm reading that right, I'm only *using* using 340MB. Why doesn't
23 > the system get rid of some of the inactive stuff in memory so I don't
24 > have to use more and more swap and slow down my system?
28 Did I miss a previous post? What you don't see is that you are ONLY useing 1
29 meg of swapper file... What slow down does that cause?
30
31 As for making the kernel use more of the free space in cache.... it will...
32 when it needs it. As you load more and more onto the task heap, the buffers
33 free space will begin to deminish... same for the free space in the memory
34 pool.
35
36 As for clearing out swap.... instead of rebooting a perfectly running linux
37 box, how about SWAPON/SWAPOFF? See the man pages...
41 Registered Linux User Number 185956
42 FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
43 Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
44 Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
45 12:10pm up 57 days, 19:56, 8 users, load average: 0.10, 0.14, 0.09
48 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list