From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More memory?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:17:04
1 > > Maybe a better way to phrase my question is: Is it possible to set my
2 > > server up so it will use swap when it needs it and then free it back
3 > > up when it doesn't need it anymore? What makes me think that is
4 > > necessary is the fact that I see a very snappy response when browsing
5 > > my site after a fresh reboot. After it's been up for awhile, the swap
6 > > starts to fill and it slows down. Rebooting clears out the swap and
7 > > the snaps return.
8 >
9 > Actually, that is the default behaviour.
10
11 I'm now using swap again for the first time since my last reboot.
12 It's currently at 1036k, but that is guaranteed to keep increasing.
13
14 Here's what I don't understand.
15
16 total used free shared buffers cached
17 Mem: 978 731 246 0 164 226
18 -/+ buffers/cache: 340 637
19 Swap: 494 1 493
20
21 If I'm reading that right, I'm only *using* using 340MB. Why doesn't
22 the system get rid of some of the inactive stuff in memory so I don't
23 have to use more and more swap and slow down my system?
24
25 - Grant
26
27 > Uwe