From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Flaky USB 3.0
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 20:03:30
1 On Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:07:12 PM James wrote:
2 > Håkon Alstadheim <hakon <at> alstadheim.priv.no> writes:
5 > > >> My PCIE USB 3.0 card keeps quitting, eg. no light from my laser mouse.
6 >
7 > > > I see no advantage to using usb3 for a mouse. Try to plug into another
8 > > > usb port. Look at your mobo manual and find one that is usb-2 and see
9 > > > if the mouse does not work reliable on that usb-2 port. This should
10 > > > at least get your mouse working correctly as you experiment/debug
11 > > > the usb-3 with other devices that need that sort of bw.
12 >
13 > USB negotiates with devices as to what speed/standard to use. If your
14 > device only needs a lesser speed (usb 1.1) it's not going to negoiate
15 > with the host for a usb-3 speed. If you want to debug usb3 speeds
16 > you'll need a truly usb 3.0 device. A hi res usb 3.0 camera device
17 > would be keen to test your usb 3.0 buss/chip/negotiations.
20 > > I use the mouse primarily for testing. It is a dead simple device that
21 > > always works, it is an old HP mouse. It gives off a nice red light when
22 > > the USB bus is operating, so it is easy to spot when there is any sign
23 > > of life.
26 > You need to find some usb sniffer software and see what the negotiations
27 > are doing when the device is first hooked up and then running a while.
28 > There are sniffers for windows aplenty, so you might have to do this
29 > diagnostic work under windows. [1] I do not think this list is
30 > complete so look around. Also look in the sources for the usb 3.0
31 > kernel as often the comments are most excellent for device and driver
32 > debugging. Some vendors use several different chipsets for the same
33 > product name, so start looking for the usb chipset for that
34 card/board/device.
35 >
36 > Also go through your kernel configs and verify what you need is set
37 > in the kernel properly (and loading if as a module).
40 > hth,
41 > James
46 > [1] http://www.linux-usb.org/tools.html
47
48 You can use wireshark to sniff usb traffic, it's not as good at parsing/analyzing
49 usb traffic as some windows tools but it works on linux. Though if I understand
50 the OP correctly I think he's trying to say that the USB controller is dies,
51 if that's the case a usb sniffer won't be very helpful.
52
53 Hakon, I googled the errors that you're getting and there's a lot of results,
54 mostly related to UEFI booting. There's also some patches but they're old and
55 I don't know if they've been commited. You can try disabling all PCI power
56 management features on the kernel and see if makes any difference or booting in
57 BIOS mode if you're using efi. I would also try the kernel mailing lists.
62 Fernando Rodriguez