From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Flaky USB 3.0
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 15:08:09
1 Håkon Alstadheim <hakon <at> alstadheim.priv.no> writes:
4 > >> My PCIE USB 3.0 card keeps quitting, eg. no light from my laser mouse.
5
6 > > I see no advantage to using usb3 for a mouse. Try to plug into another
7 > > usb port. Look at your mobo manual and find one that is usb-2 and see
8 > > if the mouse does not work reliable on that usb-2 port. This should
9 > > at least get your mouse working correctly as you experiment/debug
10 > > the usb-3 with other devices that need that sort of bw.
11
12 USB negotiates with devices as to what speed/standard to use. If your
13 device only needs a lesser speed (usb 1.1) it's not going to negoiate
14 with the host for a usb-3 speed. If you want to debug usb3 speeds
15 you'll need a truly usb 3.0 device. A hi res usb 3.0 camera device
16 would be keen to test your usb 3.0 buss/chip/negotiations.
19 > I use the mouse primarily for testing. It is a dead simple device that
20 > always works, it is an old HP mouse. It gives off a nice red light when
21 > the USB bus is operating, so it is easy to spot when there is any sign
22 > of life.
25 You need to find some usb sniffer software and see what the negotiations
26 are doing when the device is first hooked up and then running a while.
27 There are sniffers for windows aplenty, so you might have to do this
28 diagnostic work under windows. [1] I do not think this list is
29 complete so look around. Also look in the sources for the usb 3.0
30 kernel as often the comments are most excellent for device and driver
31 debugging. Some vendors use several different chipsets for the same
32 product name, so start looking for the usb chipset for that card/board/device.
33
34 Also go through your kernel configs and verify what you need is set
35 in the kernel properly (and loading if as a module).
38 hth,
39 James
44 [1] http://www.linux-usb.org/tools.html