From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:01:03
1 On Thursday 15 Sep 2011 16:13:26 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 15. September 2011 16:48:45 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > I agree he is wrong about the solution as well.
4 > >
5 > > I have actually just posted my idea to the gentoo-dev list to see how the
6 > > developers actually feel about possible splitting udev into 2 parts.
7 >
8 > I've read it there. Thanks for doing this.
9
10 Thanks Joost for posting in the dev list and for explaining your proposed
11 approach there. I've just read your thread in the dev list:
12
13 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/72969
16 Zac's response helped me understand better what the Gentoo devs have been
17 suggesting here:
18
19 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_020fa80d72c84c5b587b90d8001264ef.xml
20
21 and it does make sense - their version of initramfs-'lite'.
22
23 From what I understand:
24
25 1. The minimal initramfs will only need to be built once (and rarely rebuilt
26 thereafter). This removes one of my fears and it was a main objection for me
27 - I would hate to have to rebuild initramfs every time I roll a new kernel, or
28 libs and what not of fs happen to be udpated, etc.
29
30 2. If initramfs fails, then Zac says it will drop you into a minimal shell, so
31 we should still be able to recover/troubleshoot/reboot from there.
32
33 The only drawback is the 2 minutes it will take a user the first time this
34 change is introduced to build the initramfs and change the kernel line in
35 grub.conf. I am warming up to this proposal because it seems to me that it
36 will end up being less painful that I originally thought.
37
38 However, I still see it as a workaround to a more elegant solution, which as
39 Joost and others suggest would involve separating udev's probing for devices
40 with the rules running of scripts for them.
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick