From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasma teething problems - Part I
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 11:18:04
1 On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 12:00:36 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > Well, not Plasma's but mine for sure. I have been chasing my tail
4 > trying to reverse engineer processes/services/applications I do not
5 > want auto-running on a fresh Plasma installation and I'm fast losing
6 > the will to live.
7 >
8 > I've installed plasma-meta plus some kde-apps meta packages as follows:
9 >
10 > kde-apps/kdeadmin-meta
11 > kde-apps/kdecore-meta
12 > kde-apps/kdegraphics-meta
13 > kde-apps/kdemultimedia-meta
14 > kde-apps/kdenetwork-meta
15 > kde-apps/kdepim-meta
16 > kde-apps/kdeutils-meta
17 > kde-apps/kwalletmanager
18 > kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons
19 > kde-plasma/plasma-meta
20 >
21 > One of the above[1] brought in NetworkManager, which I don't use
22 > because for my use case there's nothing wrong with openrc netifrc
23 > scripts. When I plug in a USB wireless adaptor nothing happens since
24 > it stays dormant, although its LED illuminates. Then I enable it by
25 > starting 'net.wlp0s18f2u1' and at that point NM starts fighting over
26 > the wireless adaptor, resulting in the unpleasant phenomenon of
27 > dropping the connection every few minutes and changing its MAC address,
28 > consequently rendering it unusable with APs which implement ACL.
29 >
30 > [1] kde-plasma/plasma-meta requires kde-plasma/powerdevil, which
31 > requires kde- frameworks/networkmanager-qt, which requires
32 > net-misc/networkmanager, which requires net-misc/modemmanager
33 >
34 > So I naively thought, let's try stopping NM (note: the NetworkManager
35 > rc service is not set to run at any level, so something else is
36 > starting it). The moment I stop NM I find my logs being flooded with a
37 > storm of 'dbus failing to start obex', which bluez wants. Note: I have
38 > not started a bluetooth service, or tried running bluetootctl, and BTW
39 > rfkill shows the bluetooth adaptor is soft blocked anyway.
40 >
41 > So I now try to stop dbus and restart it, which results in losing
42 > access to any Plasma menu applications, so I can't launch any
43 > application. It may be worth mentioning when I leave alone NM and just
44 > disable the USB adaptor from openrc, I also lose access to launching
45 > KDE applications (the error message when trying to launch an app from a
46 > terminal mentions a Qt error).
47 >
48 > Could someone more knowledgeable in Plasma/KDE shenanigans please
49 > explain how I can end up with a workable USB wireless dongle, which I
50 > can enable/disable at will?
51 >
52 Set USE="-wireless" for powerdevil
53
54 I have KDE on this laptop, with no NM. The wireless connection is managed
55 by systemd-networkd here, but the same should be possible with openrc and
56 no NM.
60 Neil Bothwick
61
62 System halted - hit any Microsoft employee to continue.