From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: set local kenel version
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 21:39:50
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> writes:
2
3 > It doesn't seem you followed the instructions correctly. I don't know
4 > if that's the cause of the problem, but the instructions said:
5 >
6 > echo "-${MYHOST}-">localversion1
7 >
8 > but you seem to have used:
9 >
10 > echo "_${MYHOST}_">localversion1
11 >
12 > instead.
13
14 Just for you own info in case you ever want to do it.... not that
15 wasn't why it didn't work.
16
17 The first echo could be just about anything and the dashes are
18 insignificant too.
19
20 I haven't figured out what I did wrong... but a third try at
21 it.. has worked as advertised.... so Neils advice is right on the
22 money.
23
24 So what happens is localversion1 is combined with localversion2. And
25 since localversion2 is a symlink to .version... it gets incremented
26 with each build.... assuming no `make mrproper or distclean' is run.
27
28 One thing I did notice though is that the naming only happens during
29 `make modules_install' or `make install'
30
31 a find on filename searching for localversion1 contents fails after
32 running `make' is completed.
33
34 echo "_rdr_" > localversion1
35 then after make....
36 find . -name '*_rdr_*' will fail.
37
38 I had assumed some naming would happen during make... but it doesn't.