From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trouble w/ CD(s) during new gentoo install
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 02:21:07
1 On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 08:17:09AM +0200, Liebich, Wolfgang wrote
2
3 > I'm installing a new computer w/ gentoo (had Windows 2003 Server on
4 > it before). I'm installing from the minimal installation CD (tried w/
5 > knoppix before). BUT today I OFTEN get IDE READ errors and afterwards
6 > - no command works. No shutdown, no halt, nothing. Pressing the Power
7 > button don't do anything either (oh GREAT) - I have to pull the cable
8 > (!). It seems it gets worse. The same happened w/ the knoppix CD i
9 > tried to use for booting yesterday - at first OK, then read errors,
10 > getting worse --- what gives?? Has anyone tips how to handle this
11 > (no, getting a new CDROM drive is not a FAST option :-()
12
13 Is the CDROM an older unit? If so, can you burn the install ISO on
14 another CD *AT THE SLOWEST SPEED IT WILL DO*? I have to do this at home
15 because my emergency backup machine is a 1999 Dell and the CDROM on it
16 will only read maximum 12X speed.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
20 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
21 --