From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail delivery agent (MDA) wanted
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 22:12:42
1 Am Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:34:08PM +0100 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
2
3 > Using strace, I found out that mail from mailx puts those mail into
4 > /var/spool/clientmqueue/, one file per mail, but not in a maildir structure.
5
6 OK, I found out that this is the usual outgoing queue which needs to be
7 processed by sendmail, probably through another cronjob or a process that
8 itself checks that directory periodically.
9
10 > In many places I read that system mail—by default—goes into
11 > /var/spool/mail/<user>, but until now I’ve yet to observe this behavior.
12
13 It’s really not easy to find a description of the default setup of olden
14 days (or I’m simply using the wrong search terms). Because when you search
15 for something like unix local mail setup, most results are about setting up
16 an SMTP server. In hindsight—perhaps that is simply the way to go. :-/
19 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
20 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
21
22 Petrol station attendand to customer:
23 “Could you turn off that SUV for a mo’, or I’ll never get it full.”