From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail delivery agent (MDA) wanted
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 23:49:35
1 On 2021-12-13 23:12+0100 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Am Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:34:08PM +0100 schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
4 >
5 > > Using strace, I found out that mail from mailx puts those mail into
6 > > /var/spool/clientmqueue/, one file per mail, but not in a maildir
7 > > structure.
8 >
9 > OK, I found out that this is the usual outgoing queue which needs to
10 > be processed by sendmail, probably through another cronjob or a
11 > process that itself checks that directory periodically.
12
13 Hmm, I'm pretty sure this worked a few years ago. I just tested it on a
14 system on which I didn't configure mail before. My mails ended up in
15 /var/spool/nullmailer/queue. :-(
16
17 > > In many places I read that system mail—by default—goes into
18 > > /var/spool/mail/<user>, but until now I’ve yet to observe this
19 > > behavior.
20 >
21 > It’s really not easy to find a description of the default setup of
22 > olden days (or I’m simply using the wrong search terms). Because when
23 > you search for something like unix local mail setup, most results are
24 > about setting up an SMTP server. In hindsight—perhaps that is simply
25 > the way to go. :-/
26
27 A lot of packages depend on virtual/mta, including mailx. It seems you
28 have no choice but to configure one of the MTAs virtual/mta depends on.
31 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
32 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.