From: Andres Moore <andres.moore@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 18:14:49
1 On 5/20/06, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I like to be one of the good guys. I'm not always sure what that means
4 > in particular cases, so I'm going to ask what I should do here. Opinions
5 > welcome. Flames somewhat less so.
6 >
7 > I got a 30-day trial license for vmware, thinking to replace my aging
8 > Win4Lin. It seems to work (thanks to folks on this list). But I notice
9 > that now that I've created my VMs, I may not need workstation any
10 > more. I could do very well with the player, which is free.
11 >
12 > I'm using VMware to virtualize my old Win98 that used to run on
13 > a predecessor of the current host. On this, I run Quicken and I may
14 > decide to run some games as well.
15 >
16 > I'd just go ahead and buy Workstation except for the ~$200.-- price tag.
17 > But somehow it seems more like a $50.00 item for what I'm doing
18 > with it. I just feel a bit cheap using and ditching a trial version, since
19 > I'm definitely getting a benefit from it I could not have gotten otherwise
20 > (unless I could prevail on someone else to build the VM for me).
21 >
22 > On that point, what are the ethics of building VMs for others?
23 > What does VMware say about this?
26 > --
27 > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
30 Hi Kevin,
31
32 VMware configurations and disks can be created manually
33
34 Windows XP:
35 http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/10/26/vmware-player-windows-xp.html
36
37 Linux:
38 http://www.linuxforums.org/applications/using_vmware_player_to_test_linux_distributions.html
39
40 Even, you can create online version of you VMX file, with VM Builder:
41 http://www.consolevision.com/members/dcgrendel/vmxform.html
42
43 And then create the disk with qemu-create.
44
45 Or download empty images and then start the installation in VMware Player:
46 http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/linux/vmware-player-image-creation.php
49 Well, then. If you want to create your own Images, besides all the
50 information above, you *still* can download at no charge, VMware
51 Server and create in the server environment your own VMware images,
52 that can be opened with VMware Player.
53
54 For me, VMware as a company, is opening for real the virtualization
55 for home and students users. (and testing in office environments) The
56 real business now is in other areas of Virtualization, as VMware ESX
57 Server, and server consolidation.
58
59 BTW, Microsoft and Virtual PC are free now too...but that's a
60 different story. :)
61
62 regards
63 Andres