From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Demise of Truecrypt - surprised I haven't seen t his discussed here yet?
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:22:30
1 On Monday, June 02, 2014 11:56:24 AM Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:27:44 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 > > The second option does sound what I am looking for. Basically, if I log
4 > > out but leave my computer on, leave home, some crook/NSA type breaks in
5 > > and tries to access something or steals my whole puter, they would just
6 > > get garbage for data. That seems to fit the second option best.
7 >
8 > If they steal your computer they will have to power it off, unless you
9 > are kind enough to leave them a large enough UPS to steal along with it,
10 > so any encryption will be equally effective.
11
12 You only need a UPS that can keep a machine running for about a few minutes.
13 First start the portable generator, then unplug the UPS from the wall and plug
14 it into the portable generator.
15 Then when in the car/van/truck/... plug it over from the portable generator
16 into a 12V / 24V -> 120/240V DC/AC converter and drive to a location where you
17 have the tools to hack into a running machine.
18
19 Best configure the machine to auto-power-down when it looses connection to a
20 fixed device in your home, like the smart meter, bluetooth headset,... or
21 anything else that has a built-in wireless capability.
24 Joost