From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE (mono to meta) migration
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:38:25
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > Is there an easy way to remove all of the kde packages before
5 > > migration to kde-meta?
6
7 > See the thread form a couple of hours ago,
8
9 Awe, yes, Gmane runs very slow during the day (EST),
10 I see this recent discussion.
14 > I think you have misunderstood the purpose of the meta packages. They are
15 > simply empty packages that depend on various other packages. The old kde
16 > package was a meta-package that depended on the various monolithic
17 > builds, now there is a meta-package to replace each of the monolithic
18 > builds that depends on the split packages. kde-meta depend on all the
19 > split ebuilds.
22 Yep, this explains quite a lot.....
23
24 > > Comments and Recommendations on kde-meta's future?
25
26 > The meta-packages won't be going away, they are even more important with
27 > the split ebuilds. they aren't exclusive to KDE either; gnome,
28 > gnome-light and xorg-x11-7* are all meta packages.
31 Thanks for the information, this clears things up for me....
32
33 James
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list