From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE (mono to meta) migration
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:55:52
1 On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:28:42 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > Is there an easy way to remove all of the kde packages before
4 > migration to kde-meta?
5
6 See the thread form a couple of hours ago, but one easy way is
7
8 emerge -Ca $(ls /var/db/pkg/kde-base)
9
10 > I like having as many kde apps installed as possible. For me,
11 > it makes it easier to find cool (kde) softaware. But if meta
12 > is going away, like the monolithic kde packaging (eventually)
13 > I'd rather go straight to the split kde package system.
14
15 I think you have misunderstood the purpose of the meta packages. They are
16 simply empty packages that depend on various other packages. The old kde
17 package was a meta-package that depended on the various monolithic
18 builds, now there is a meta-package to replace each of the monolithic
19 builds that depends on the split packages. kde-meta depend on all the
20 split ebuilds.
21
22 > Comments and Recommendations on kde-meta's future?
23
24 The meta-packages won't be going away, they are even more important with
25 the split ebuilds. they aren't exclusive to KDE either; gnome,
26 gnome-light and xorg-x11-7* are all meta packages.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Our bikinis are exciting. They are simply the tops.