From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My X11 mouse icons have acquired unwanted borders. Help!
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 13:42:41
1 2011/10/16 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>:
2 > Hi, Jesús.
3 >
4 > On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 01:41:21PM +0200, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
5 >> Does this happen on other WMs as well?
6 >
7 > Yes, it happens on xfce, too.
8
9 That probably confirms it's not a gnome issue. The cursor is an X
10 thing, in any case.
11
12 >> Also, did you update the driver (whatever it is) recently?
13 >
14 > Ah.  I synched yesterday, and a massive number of packages were updated,
15 > among them xorg-drivers.  That'll be it, I suppose.
16
17 That package is kind of a wrapper around the driver packages, which
18 are many. You install xorg-drivers as a dependency of xorg-server, and
19 depending on your VIDEO_CARDS settings in make.conf the relevant
20 driver packages are also pushed as dependencies into your system.
23 > Presumably I can configure these drivers somewhere, perhaps in
24 > ~/.xinitrc?  Is there any documentation for this?
28 Let us know what your driver is so we can give more concrete details.
29 But video drivers, just like any other thing that's part of X, can be
30 configured at /etc/X11/xorg.conf or, more recently, in separate files
31 under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. Some drivers (like, again, the nvidia
32 binary one) do ship tools that can help you configure the driver by
33 writing to these files via a GUI frontend. The concrete options that
34 you can put into this files depend on the concrete driver. For
35 example, the man page for my driver (xf86-video-ati) can be seen by
36 using
37
38 # man radeon
39
40 There I can see all the available options.
41
42 If you let us know what driver are you using, then maybe someone who's
43 familiar with your driver can provide you with more accurate help.
46 Jesús Guerrero Botella