From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My X11 mouse icons have acquired unwanted borders. Help!
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:49:02
1 On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 03:41:32PM +0200, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
2 > 2011/10/16 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>:
3
4 > > On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 01:41:21PM +0200, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
5
6 > That probably confirms it's not a gnome issue. The cursor is an X
7 > thing, in any case.
8
9 > >> Also, did you update the driver (whatever it is) recently?
10
11 > > Ah.  I synched yesterday, and a massive number of packages were updated,
12 > > among them xorg-drivers.  That'll be it, I suppose.
13
14 > That package is kind of a wrapper around the driver packages, which
15 > are many. You install xorg-drivers as a dependency of xorg-server, and
16 > depending on your VIDEO_CARDS settings in make.conf the relevant
17 > driver packages are also pushed as dependencies into your system.
18
19 My setting is 'VIDEO_CARDS="radeonhd radeon"'. I've got two there
20 because I was never sure which one was the right one. I've got a card
21 based on a Radeon HD4550 ;-(
22
23 > > Presumably I can configure these drivers somewhere, perhaps in
24 > > ~/.xinitrc?  Is there any documentation for this?
27 > Let us know what your driver is ...
28
29 Not quite sure what you mean here. Do you mean my VIDEO_CARDS? Other
30 than that, I've got two binary blobs in my kernel, radeon/R600_rlc.bin
31 and radeon/R700_rlc.bin. (Again, I'm not sure which is the correct one.)
32
33 > ... so we can give more concrete details. But video drivers, just like
34 > any other thing that's part of X, can be configured at
35 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf or, more recently, in separate files under
36 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/.
37
38 I'll go for a monolithic config rather than a fragmented one. :-)
39
40 > Some drivers (like, again, the nvidia binary one) do ship tools that
41 > can help you configure the driver by writing to these files via a GUI
42 > frontend. The concrete options that you can put into this files depend
43 > on the concrete driver. For example, the man page for my driver
44 > (xf86-video-ati) can be seen by using
45
46 > # man radeon
47
48 > There I can see all the available options.
49
50 > If you let us know what driver are you using, then maybe someone who's
51 > familiar with your driver can provide you with more accurate help.
52
53 > --
54 > Jesús Guerrero Botella
57 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).