From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ALSA config problem
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:52:10
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 February 2009, James wrote:
3 >> Roy Wright <roy <at> wright.org> writes:
4 >
5 >>> On my new install using 2.6.28-gentoo-r1, alsa kernel, sound as modules
6 >>> (recommended),
7 > [snip...]
8 >
9 >>> * enable alsa in the kernel
10 >>> * enable as modules device drivers/sound card support/...
11 > [snip...]
12 >
13 >> I appreciate these steps and refs....
14 >>
15 >> I'm good for now.
16 >
17 > As was suggested above you may get better luck building the alsa drivers as
18 > modules. Although I had my sound card driver built in the kernel for the
19 > last 2-3 years, I had to revert to building it as a module to get it to work
20 > with kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r6/8.
21
22 The main reason for building the sound drivers as modules is so that
23 alsaconf can find and setup your sound card for you.