From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 21:57:01
1 Hello, Grant.
2
3 On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:32:28 -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
4 > On 1/13/21 11:14 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > This is appalling. I do all my work on the console (apart from web
6 > > browsing), and with this development, Linux effectively becomes
7 > > unusable to me. I will NOT be bullied into using second rate
8 > > alternatives like X-Windows terminals.
9
10 > Wow. I don't think I've run into someone that was a devout
11 > {physical,virtual} /console/ user in quite a while.
12
13 > I'm curious what you do in the Linux console that can't be done in a
14 > terminal emulator.
15
16 Well, there's really not much that can't be done in a terminal emulator.
17 But it's the manner of the doing that's important. Doing text work in X
18 is s l u g g i s h. Changing from one application to another, which
19 would be achieved by, say Alt-F4 on a console takes more key sequences
20 in X, and is less than instantaneous. The X terminal emulator tends not
21 to occupy the whole screen - it tends to have title bars, menu items,
22 tabs even, which just distract from the task at hand. Maybe it can be
23 set up to take the whole screen, but that's work. And the fonts used
24 tend to be less distinct and helpful than the 16 x 8 bitmaps I have on
25 the console. And X windows steals useful key sequences, such as
26 Alt-Tab. On an Emacs session, in three columns on a console, I can
27 display 195 consecutive lines of a source file simultaneously.
28
29 I could go on, but ...
30
31 That's not to say there aren't problems with the tty console - even
32 before the screen scrolling was removed altogether, it wasn't exactly
33 anything to write home about. And it would be nice to have more than 16
34 colours available. But, on balance, I'll stick with the console.
35
36 > I know that there is a lot of difference in different terminal
37 > emulators. -- I *strongly* prefer XTerm as it does things that other
38 > terminal emulators have never heard of.
39
40 > Please share if you do things that /can/ be done in the Linux console
41 > that /can't/ be done in a terminal emulator.
42
43 I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working in
44 the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window Manager
45 have been installed and debugged.
46
47 > If it's just preference, then hat's off to you.
51 > --
52 > Grant. . . .
53 > unix || die
56 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).