From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Console scrollback
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 22:15:35
1 On 2021-01-13, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working in
4 > the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window Manager
5 > have been installed and debugged.
6
7 I usually install Gentoo via ssh.
8
9 The article I read about the removal of Linux console's backscrolling
10 feature said it was mostly due to lack of a maintainer for that code,
11 and that if somebody stepped forward to maintain it, it could be revived.
12
13 FWOW, if you really want backscrolling on the console, you can get
14 that with screen, but doing so would drive me nuts, since I'd have to
15 break all my fingers to stop them from typeing ctrl-A to move the
16 start of a line. I've switched screen's meta-character a few times,
17 but everytime I try that I find my fingers already have something else
18 assigned to that control character (which I had forgotten about). It
19 would be nice if I could print out my fingers' assignment table to
20 find an unused control character, but that doesn't seem to be how it
21 works.
24 Grant