From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Console scrollback
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:06:47
1 Hello, Grant.
2
3 On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 22:15:25 -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > On 2021-01-13, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > I think bringing up a new Gentoo system absolutely requires working in
7 > > the console, certainly up to the point where X11 and a Window Manager
8 > > have been installed and debugged.
9
10 > I usually install Gentoo via ssh.
11
12 > The article I read about the removal of Linux console's backscrolling
13 > feature said it was mostly due to lack of a maintainer for that code,
14 > and that if somebody stepped forward to maintain it, it could be revived.
15
16 I'm doing my best to step forward, but I suspect that will be almost as
17 difficult as fixing the bugs in it. ;-)
18
19 I'm disappointed that the decision to cut out this important feature was
20 taken without any serious attempt to find a maintainer. I have the
21 impression (though I may be wrong), that the problem was talked about on
22 the linux kernel mailing list, but nobody there took it upon himself to
23 post on any of the more hard-core distributions' mailing lists, such as
24 gentoo's.
25
26 > FWOW, if you really want backscrolling on the console, you can get
27 > that with screen, but doing so would drive me nuts, since I'd have to
28 > break all my fingers to stop them from typeing ctrl-A to move the
29 > start of a line. I've switched screen's meta-character a few times,
30 > but everytime I try that I find my fingers already have something else
31 > assigned to that control character (which I had forgotten about). It
32 > would be nice if I could print out my fingers' assignment table to
33 > find an unused control character, but that doesn't seem to be how it
34 > works.
35
36 Can one set up a "basic" screen which doesn't use a meta-character?
37
38 > --
39 > Grant
42 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).