From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 01:33:49
1 Beau Henderson wrote:
4 > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Beau Henderson
5 > <beau@××××××××××××.com <mailto:beau@××××××××××××.com>> wrote:
9 > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Alan McKinnon
10 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>> wrote:
11 >
12 > On Thursday 19 February 2009 01:38:39 Beau Henderson wrote:
13 > > I've tried manually altering the governor to performance but
14 > its the same
15 > > story.
16 > >
17 > > The system doesn't appear sluggish, I'm really more
18 > concerned that
19 > > something is causing the load and this might lead to shorter
20 > battery life
21 > > and and more heat.
22 >
23 > Right in the beginning you said the load was *exactly* 1.00.
24 > Now, load is
25 > defined as
26 >
27 > "the _number_ of processes on average waiting for the cpu in
28 > the last 1, 5, 15
29 > minutes"
30 >
31 > So it does not mean that the cpu is necessarily working hard
32 > (but usually
33 > does) if the load is high. Yours is _exactly_ 1.00 (very
34 > suspicious)
35 >
36 > This is almost certainly one of two things:
37 >
38 > 1. A stupid kernel config that you should not have done :-)
39 > 2. Some app is blocking hard on IO
40 >
41 > I guess #2 - something waits for IO, it is not available, so
42 > immediately goes
43 > back to sleep waiting for it's next time slice. This happens
44 > many times a
45 > second and averaged over a minute looks like the cpu is
46 > constantly busy. Thus,
47 > no real extra cpu load is happening, the machine does not
48 > appear at all
49 > sluggish and the only harm is that it is annoying as hell.
50 >
51 > --
52 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
56 > Woah, now were getting somewhere.
57 >
58 > After reading that, I had another look at the top output and
59 > noticed that a single hald process was in D state.
60 > /etc/init.d/hald stop and the load is lowering as I type. I'm
61 > going to have to dig into this deeper as time permits.
62 >
63 > Thanks everyone :)
66 > --
67 > Beau Dylan Henderson
68 >
69 > "No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate
70 > themselves or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the
71 > right to do so, for whatever reason, is nothing more than the
72 > safeguarding of ignorance to ensure that enlightenment does not
73 > become a threat. For nothing in this world is more dangerous than
74 > an open mind." -- Matthew Good
78 > The culprit: Hals cdrom polling. Interestingly, the load shot down as
79 > soon as I stuck a disk.
80 >
81 > The fix: hal-disable-polling --device /dev/scd0 'hal'
82 > --
83 > Beau Dylan Henderson
84 >
85 > "No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate
86 > themselves or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the right
87 > to do so, for whatever reason, is nothing more than the safeguarding
88 > of ignorance to ensure that enlightenment does not become a threat.
89 > For nothing in this world is more dangerous than an open mind." --
90 > Matthew Good
93 I would never have guessed this was your problem but I had the same
94 thing happen on my DESKTOP puter a while back. I hit the eject button,
95 closed the tray again, restarted hald and it went back to normal. I
96 also had a TON of errors in messages too. I have cron set up to rotate
97 messages so I may not have those now.
98
99 This may be a different cause but does make one wonder. Also, it hasn't
100 done it since.
101
102 Dale
103