From: Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:11:04
1 On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>wrote:
5 > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Thursday 19 February 2009 01:38:39 Beau Henderson wrote:
8 >> > I've tried manually altering the governor to performance but its the
9 >> same
10 >> > story.
11 >> >
12 >> > The system doesn't appear sluggish, I'm really more concerned that
13 >> > something is causing the load and this might lead to shorter battery
14 >> life
15 >> > and and more heat.
16 >>
17 >> Right in the beginning you said the load was *exactly* 1.00. Now, load is
18 >> defined as
19 >>
20 >> "the _number_ of processes on average waiting for the cpu in the last 1,
21 >> 5, 15
22 >> minutes"
23 >>
24 >> So it does not mean that the cpu is necessarily working hard (but usually
25 >> does) if the load is high. Yours is _exactly_ 1.00 (very suspicious)
26 >>
27 >> This is almost certainly one of two things:
28 >>
29 >> 1. A stupid kernel config that you should not have done :-)
30 >> 2. Some app is blocking hard on IO
31 >>
32 >> I guess #2 - something waits for IO, it is not available, so immediately
33 >> goes
34 >> back to sleep waiting for it's next time slice. This happens many times a
35 >> second and averaged over a minute looks like the cpu is constantly busy.
36 >> Thus,
37 >> no real extra cpu load is happening, the machine does not appear at all
38 >> sluggish and the only harm is that it is annoying as hell.
39 >>
40 >> --
41 >> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
45 > Woah, now were getting somewhere.
46 >
47 > After reading that, I had another look at the top output and noticed that a
48 > single hald process was in D state. /etc/init.d/hald stop and the load is
49 > lowering as I type. I'm going to have to dig into this deeper as time
50 > permits.
51 >
52 > Thanks everyone :)
55 > --
56 > Beau Dylan Henderson
57 >
58 > "No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate
59 > themselves or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the right to do
60 > so, for whatever reason, is nothing more than the safeguarding of ignorance
61 > to ensure that enlightenment does not become a threat. For nothing in this
62 > world is more dangerous than an open mind." -- Matthew Good
66 The culprit: Hals cdrom polling. Interestingly, the load shot down as soon
67 as I stuck a disk.
68
69 The fix: hal-disable-polling --device /dev/scd0 'hal'
70 --
71 Beau Dylan Henderson
72
73 "No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate themselves
74 or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the right to do so, for
75 whatever reason, is nothing more than the safeguarding of ignorance to
76 ensure that enlightenment does not become a threat. For nothing in this
77 world is more dangerous than an open mind." -- Matthew Good