From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:20:56
1 On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 07:19:18 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 [snip]
5
6 > > > Sounds like you need a SAN Storage solution like NetApp or HDS :-)
7 > >
8 > > I have those options too. But the team that runs the SAN charges and
9 > > the rates are not cheap.
12 > Yeah, tell me about it.
13 >
14 > The day after we got our first NetApp array, the Finance Director
15 > demanded to know how we were going to recoup the cost >.<
16 >
17 > Then the next week, the company got its bacon saved when the
18 > production database got corrupted. We quickly mount the previous
19 > hour's snapshot, and averted an off day. Suddenly, the NetApp array
20 > became the company's most valuable asset.
21 >
22 > (Reading BOFH indeed opened up my team's unlimited resource of
23 > creativity ;-) )
24
25 Ah, bean counters. Those fellows have an annoying habit of asking:
26
27 "Please tell me why I must spend a trifling amount of money (in
28 comparison to my own wages) on something that protects our major asset?"
29
30 I have found that cron and at provides the way to demonstrate exactly
31 why one must spend that money.
34 Alan McKinnnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com